Today, I am joining my friend, Suzy (Kitchen Bouquet), for her Great Cooking Magazine challenge. If you are like the both of us you have a pile of cooking magazines laying around because there is a recipe or two that you just have to try. Suzy challenges us once in a while to open them up and try those recipes we've bookmarked. Please click HERE to go to her blog and see her entry as well as the other's participating.Last night we had a date night meal at home so it was a great time to use the new wine themed plates that Jayme & Scott gave me for Christmas. What is date night at home? Well for us it is me choosing all the activities, LOL! Actually, I make an effort to set a nice table and prepare a nice meal while Jeff opens a bottle of good wine. Then we went bowling for 3 games (on the Wii) before sitting down to watch the movie "I Hate Valentines Day".
Pea-Prosciutto Sauce
Food Network Magazine March 2011
Cook 4 ounces chopped prosciutto in a skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat until crisp, 4 minutes. Stir in 3 sliced garlic cloves and 1 tablespoon tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Ladle in 1 cup pasta-cooking water and simmer until reduced by half, 4 minutes. Add 1/4 cup heavy cream and simmer until thickened, 3 minutes. Toss with 1 pound cooked ravioli, 1 cup blanched frozen peas and some chopped parsley. Top with grated parmesan.
My notes: To lighten the sauce I used 1 tablespoon olive oil instead of 2. In the same issue of the magazine was an article on lightening up alfredo sauce by using low-fat milk and low-fat neufchatel cream cheese. So instead of using the heavy cream, I used 1/4 cup skim milk and 2 tablespoons of the low-fat cream cheese. It was a great substitution and the sauce still had a rich, creamy taste. We served the sauce over our favorite frozen butternut squash ravioli (YUM!). I also didn't have parlsey on hand so that was omitted. Recipes like this that only use a TB of tomato paste makes me thankful I started buying the tubes of paste.
For dessert I pulled out the December 2010 issue of Food Network Magazine and made

Espresso Chip Meringues by Giada De Laurentiis. You can view the recipe by clicking on the titled link.
Marsha - Thumbs UP to the pasta sauce, we will definitely be making this one again! Thumbs UP to the espresso meringues, I like the sweet taste and airy texture.
Jeff - Thumbs UP to the pasta sauce, he had a 2nd helping. Thumbs Down to the meringues, he'd rather have a real cookie as he thought this one was like eating styrofoam, LOL! Just means there are more for me to enjoy.
9 comments:
I love pasta too! I am going to have to check on when my subscription ends to Food Network mag because I don't think I've gotten that issue yet. I really love that magazine. Your ravioli looks delish and I like how you lightened it up. I find most recipes can be made healthier with minimal sacrifices to taste. The meringues look yum. The reviews would be the same at my house. For some reason Randy isn't crazy about meringues either. I LOVE your beautiful table setting. Jayme knows what you enjoy! That bottle candleabra is really neat and unique. Where did you get that? Thanks so much for joining me in the challenge Marsha - can't wait to see what everyone else tries out.
Oooo, that pasta sounds delicious, Marsha! I'm going to have to try that one because I love pasta too and have been craving it for a while now.
Loved Jeff's comment about the meringue cookies :) They do look goo, though!
Lovely plates, napkins and rings!
I am with Jeff, I think they taste like styrofoam with sugar. :)
The ravioli looks good!
Joe would probably agree with Jeff :-) Whenever I ask him what he would like for dessert, he says chocolate chip cookies.
The ravioli sounds wonderful!
I forgot to say that I love the plates, napkins and rings. I have the same rings and love them!
Leave it to a man to not like meringues. He's a MAN'S MAN!!
The napkins, rings and plates are so pretty..Jayme has great taste!
The pasta looks good - have never tried that type of ravioli - the sauce sounds perfect..even looks like it would be a nice light meal!
The pasta looks fabulous, Marsha, that would go over big here. Saving it! LOL, styrofoam, love Jeff's comment! He's not far off but have to say that meringue cookies would get a thumbs up here! Beautiful plates, the table looks perfect!
Your table is so pretty, Marsha. I love those plates, especially the one with the picture of the Eiffel Tower. Pasta is always a favorite in my house and the meringues would probably be a hit as well. I did have to laugh at the styrofoam comment. Sometimes that's exactly what meringue tastes like.
The plates do look nice :-) The pasta looks good too, minus the peas.
Post a Comment