Ebelskivers "filled pancakes" (recipe from the back of my William Sonoma pan packaging)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
4 eggs, seperated
2 cups milk
4 Tablespoons butter, melted (plus more for cooking)
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, then whisk in the milk and the 4 TB of melted butter. Whisk the yolk mixture into the flour mixture until well combined; the batter will be lumpy.
In another bowl, using and electric mixture fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, gently stir the whites into the batter in two additions.
Put 1/4 tsp butter in each well of the ebelskiver pan. Set over medium heat and heat until the butter begins to bubble. Pour in 1 TBs of batter into each well, put in 1-2 tsp of your choice of filling and top with 1 TBs of batter. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Using 2 wooden skewers, flip the pancakes over and cook until golden and crispy about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining batter and filing. Makes about 40.
My notes: I always halve this recipe with no problems. Up until this batch I always used the 2 wooden skewers to flip them but yesterday I discovered we were out of them. While I was panicking on what to use Jeff took out 2 plastic forks and broke off all the prongs except one on each fork - they worked so much better and now are washed and will be stored with the pan :)
The blueberry filling was "winged" - I used one half of a block of cream cheese so about 4 oz and whipped it with several tablespoons of powdered sugar and a tsp of vanilla. Then I added blueberries and used the remaining blueberries to cook down with some sugar for the syrup topping.
Marsha - Thumbs UP
Jeff - Two Thumbs UP - yes, he thought they were that good :)
7 comments:
I still haven't used my Ebelskiver pan - waiting to get the boys and Carrie to come over some Sunday morning to try it out.
Yours really look yummy!!!
These looks fantastic, Marsha! I have my pan, I even have the recipe book, and one of these days I have to make them again! That's an excellent review, two thumbs up!
Yum...I'd give them 2 hands up..they must be delicious! I have only done apple, and choc..I'll try this soon..
Yum, yum! I love blueberries and adore cream cheese in baked goods. These look fabulous. I'm afraid that I would make a piggy out of myself eating these. Jeff sounds like a man that knows what he wants and likes. :)
They look wonderful, Marsha! What a great way to 'wing' a recipe, I must say!
I hopped over from Eileen's blog and was delighted to see your Ebelskivers! I've not had them although I have been told they are like Pannekoekens.
So I wondered where you might be from... and had to chuckle when I saw you mention St. Cloud and can only surmise you are a fellow Minnesotan :)
I should not have visited here. I'd never heard of Ebelskiver before and to think they make a pan just for Ebelskiver. So I wake my wife up and she has never heard of Ebelskiver So now I'm in trouble for waking her up LOL. Probably sometime in the next week I'll have my own Ebelskiver pan. Aren't blogs amazing.. Thanks
Post a Comment