Friday, August 21, 2009

sweet raisins...

My Tomaccio Sweet Raisin tomatoes are finally ripening and boy, do I love them. They are such a sweet little snack when popped right in your mouth while out picking them and last night I finally had enough to roast and I just have to say, it was like eating candy...so good!While I think I could have eaten the whole cookie sheet full of them right out of the oven...I used willpower and made the pasta dish I had planned. This one was truly right out of my "kitchen garden" with my tomatoes, peppers & herbs.
No recipe but this is what I did...
To roast the tomatoes for the pasta...

Heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, add 4 cups cherry tomatoes, 1 TB olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp sugar and toss to coat all of the tomatoes. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit. Pour tomatoes onto the baking sheet and roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until they collapse and their skin begins to carmelize or slightly char.

Then I boiled a pot of spaghetti and while that was cooking, in a large saute pan with one tablespoon of olive oil I cooked 2 garlic gloves, one onion and one green pepper until softened. Then I added sliced fresh mushrooms, herbs from my garden (basil, thyme & oregano), a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes and S & P. Next, I added the roasted cherry tomatoes with the juice from the cookie sheet and a 1/2 cup of the pasta water and a few squirts of tomato paste from a tube. Tossed in the drained spaghetti and served with grated parmesan. No exact measurements as this was one of those "toss and taste" meals but boy was it good!

Marsha - Thumbs UP
Jeff - Thumbs UP

7 comments:

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Double thumbs up! I'm sure they are wonderful. I'll have to look for the plants next spring. I'm off to the farmer's market, but I doubt they will have them.

Joyce said...

I love to pop fresh tomatoes into my mouth like they were little candy treats:)
Joyce

Cynthia said...

Marsha, I bet that was the best tomato sauce ever. Nothing like a sauce made from garden fresh veggies and spices. ... They sound like interesting little tomatoes, a variety I've never heard of. ... I definitely can relate to eating grape and cherry tomatoes right off the vine.

I found this interesting article about them. You are definitely on the cutting edge of this new variety.

tomaccio

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I am growing one called Jewel this year and they are so tiny - no bigger than a thumb nail. I haven't heard of Tomaccio before but will look for them next spring!

Your roasted tomato pasta sauce sounds amazing. I'll have to try it with my Thumbelinas :)

Suzy said...

Yummmmm! I definitely need to keep this in mind for all my little tomatoes. They come in quicker than I can use them sometimes.

Carol said...

Looks amazing, the pasta and the tomatoes! My absolute favorite is roasted tomatoes and the little ones come out so good! Have to look for the raisins next time. Cindy turned me on to sungolds and they are nice and sweet, so I'd love the raisins!

NY had a lousy tomato season this summer but the tiny ones I did well with!

Kathleen said...

Carol is right, NY tomatoes this year..not so good!

I don't eat them, but your dinner looks good!