Saturday, March 28, 2009

a Madison YUMMY!

Yesterday as I was checking out the other posts in Foodie Friday, I came across this post from The Bloom Girls. It featured a video segement a la "cooking show" with the lovely Madison Grace, a 4 year old baker. Let me just say, it was the most entertaining 4 minutes and 42 seconds of video, I have watched in a long time. It brought back such wonderful memories of the late 80's when my sister lived in Japan and we would send her home videos to keep in touch. My daughter, Jayme, and niece, Ashley, who were just a little older than Madison would make cooking videos to send. Yesterday, Madison showed us how to make carrot muffins with cream cheese filling...even without Madison's recommendation that with a glass of milk they were YUMMY, I knew would have to try them.

Let me just say...these are the BEST!

I opted for coffee with milk rather than a glass of milk but it was a perfect breakfast. Oh, what a beautiful morning...

oops, as my cup says...Oh, what a birdiful morning...
he does have a carrot colored background ;)

Recipe from Karyn at the Bloom Girls

Carrot Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling - Makes 12 Muffins

Batter:
1/3 cup softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar (compressed down into the cup)
2 eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (you can subsitute, whole wheat or organic)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Filling:
4 ounces softened cream cheese
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel

Directions:

Mix together filling ingredients (cream cheese, sugar and orange peel) until well blended, set aside

In a different bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy with mixer. Add milk, orange juice and eggs until well mixed. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnomen and stir into creamed mixture until moist. Stir in carrots, dried cranberries and walnuts (if including)

Using paper lined cupcake pan, fill each liner 1/3 full of carrot batter mixture, then add about 2 tablespoons of cream cheese filling and then another 1/3 of carrot batter mixture. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Test with a wooden toothpick to ensure they are done. (the toothpick should come out with tiny crumbs or no uncooked batter) Cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan to wire rack to continue cooling. Store these in the fridge!

My Notes: I didn't have dried cranberries in the house so I omitted them and we love pecans so I used pecans instead of walnuts. We'll be making these again and again!

Marsha - Thumbs UP
Jeff - Thumbs UP

12 comments:

Carol said...

Marsha, I love the thumbs up from you and Jeff :) Very cute!

I'm giving your blog and your post a BIG THUMBS UP :)

Have to try the muffins, they look super good!

Foley said...

Marsha - the muffins look good..love the two thumbs up! Cute that you placed them on the 'carrot' plate too!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Yea - two thumbs up! (Darned cute idea!)

I'll have to go and watch the video too after your comments.

Those muffins look sooooo good!

Cynthia said...

Marsha, the muffins look and sound delicious ... glad for the thumbs up review.

Madison is adorable and very proficient in the kitchen. I'm so glad that you stumbled upon the recipe, made them and blogged about them.

The cream cheese in the middle is a great idea. How do you think raisins would work in the recipe?

A Grain of Salt said...

Gosh, Marsha... those look AWESOME! You have the best breakfasts.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

OH MY MY....don't they look luscious! You gave me a great idea for Easter brunch for my family.

The Bloom Girls said...

Hello Marsha,

Thanks so much for stopping by and for the lovely comments! Madison is so much fun and she LOVES to help me cook. She even likes watching some of the cooking shows with me (Paula Deen, etc) We love these muffins and it is a recipe that I adapted from another one.

I noticed someone asked about adding raisins - the orginal recipe did have rasins and I use dried cranberries or dried cherries instead. Raisins would work perfectly too!

Have a wonderful day!

Blessings to you and yours!

Karyn

Kathleen said...

That is a great idea for a brunch..no one would have to spread the cream cheese!
They look delicious, Marsha!
Thanks for sharing it with us..
And sorry, Jayne, I would put raisins in them too! :)

for the love of a house said...

Wow Marsha, those look incredible! I would love a plate-full of them right now in fact. All of your recipes look mighty good! I can't wait to have a kitchen again to be able to try some of your recipes! joan

Suzy said...

Great looking cupcakes. I love carrot cake so I know I'd love these. I will have to go watch the video now :-) Thanks Marsha for sharing good recipes and laughs!

Maggie said...

This is a great idea! Carrot cake and cream cheese icing are so good together.

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Hello Marsha! First of all, let me thank you for your comment on my recent post! It means alot to me that you haven't given up on me.
Now for your recipes...WOW I'm glad I came across this. I love the baking and this recipe it outstanding. You had my mouth watering when I just looked at the photos. You are a talented gal!!