Thursday, March 26, 2009

mini pitas...

During a recent shopping trip to Trader Joe's I discovered these cute mini whole wheat pita breads. I stuck them in the freezer until I decided what to do with them. I had bookmarked this Martha Stewart recipe for egg and avocado salad sandwiches a while back and I had an overripe avocado to use up so it was a good day to try a small version of it. It was also a good day to get out some toys. First the egg slicer from Pampered Chef...
rotate the egg after the first slice to get...
this small dice.
Next up was my newest toy, an avocado slicer...
just use it as a scoop and it shells and slices the avocado in one motion.
I only have two hands so slicing and taking photos didn't work very well, a blurry shot above and crooked slices - usually I have perfect slices when finished.
A few swipes with a knife and the slices became dices sprinkled with a teaspoon of lemon juice and salt & pepper.
Mixed it all together with light mayo, dijon mustard and lots more pepper and I had...
lunch for one, Mini whole wheat pitas with avocado and egg salad and Lindt white chocolate truffles for dessert :)

Since Martha's recipe made a big batch I used two eggs, 1/2 avocado, 1 tsp lemon juice and guessed on the mayo & dijon to make the right consistency. I didn't read the recipe very well other than to see the list of ingredients since I wasn't making a whole batch. Looking back, I know I had over a teaspoon dijon in just my small serving so it was a little heavy on the mustard. I will definitely make this again but go a little lighter with the dijon...who knew eggs & avocado...a great combination or has Martha says..."a Good Thing".

Marsha - Thumbs Up
Jeff - not home, but hates egg salad :)

7 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love pitas of any size ... the minis are too cute.

Marsha, John and I both would love the egg salad and avocado. ... Sounds deicious.

Foley said...

Egg Salad is something I don't make odten even though I love it..would have never thought of teaming it with an avocado! The small pitas are too cute - would love to try those, I use the mini croissants often.
Great post...and photos!

Carol said...

I love the mini pita's! they look great with the avocado egg salad. Looks fantastic, Marsha! Great post!

Cool avocado gadget! I have the egg slicer, works well with mushrooms, too!

A Grain of Salt said...

Marsha...that looks so good! I would have to make it a solo lunch as well...DH would pass without trying. Love your tutorial!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I'm really starting to love pitas more and more. This recipe sounds terrific, Marsha! This would make a wonderful summer lunch. Copying and pasting!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, I would love this! Not Joe :-) I sometimes top my fried eggs with avocado slices, which I love. I'll be adding recipe to my summer recipe collection. I have the same avocado slicer and love it.

Your choice of dessert would be mine too :-)

Sophie said...

Those are some cool kitchen gadgets :)! The pitas look cute and super yummy--very nutritious lunch, perfect for a picnic :).