Friday, December 10, 2010

Tea & Cookies...

It's cold outside! I just got in from filling all my birdfeeders and in my opinion there is no better way to warm up freezing fingers than a hot cup of tea. In today's pot is jasmine blooming tea.
The cookies are courtesy of my sister, Laura, who visited last weekend from California and brought a container of her famous Lemon Cookies for the family potluck. She made the rounds and stayed at 2 of my sisters and finally my house last so I got to keep the leftovers :) I've been having tea & cookies all week and these cookies if stored in an airtight container stay crisp until the last crumb.

Laura's Lemon Cookies

2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large lemons
3/4 cup butter (do not substitute margarine or shortening)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Grate 1 tablespoon lemon peel from the lemons and squeeze two tablespoons juice. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and lemon peel together and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar and powdered sugar together until creamy. Add the vanilla and lemon juice and stir to combine. Reduce mixer speed to low and add in the bowl of dry ingredients just until blended. Divide dough in half and shape each half into a 6" long log. This is easiest done in wax paper. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut chilled log into 1/4 inch slices and put on a ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with additional sugar and bake approximately 12 minutes or until very slightly tan on the edges. Cool on the cookie sheet for about 2 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies stay crisp for weeks and freeze well also.

Marsha - Thumbs UP
Jeff - Thumbs UP

10 comments:

Carol said...

Great picture, Marsha! The tea looks so good and I don't even like tea :) But I would really love those cookies!

Foley said...

The cookies sound perfect with the tea! I still love a simple cookie the best..have copied it to my file!
Be careful filling those feeders!!

Flavia Galasso said...

Pics are very good...cookies are delicious....but I really like your tea-pot...have a beautiful weekend!!!

Kathy said...

Thanks Marcia, great photos. I really have to get one of those tea pots and the blooming tea.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love hot tea in the afternoon in this kind of weather! What a beautiful pot of tea. The bloomiing teas are so pretty.

It is turning really chilly here today so I'm going to make some right now ;)

I'm saving Laura's cookie recipe - they sound delicious!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

It's windy and chilly here today, and the blooming tea is so inviting. I need to start using mine again.

Laura's lemon cookies sound wonderful!

Kathleen said...

The cookies look delicious! I don't have one of those blooming tea pots. Just a regular one. It will have to do, not going to start collecting tea pots, LOL!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

How very pretty your table and decorations look! I just love white and you have done such a beautiful job!

Merry Christmas wishes to YOU!
Kindly, ldh

Entertaining Women said...

The sunlight in your photos is stunning. I love every detail of your beautiful tablescape. Thank you for sharing your charming design and for stopping by my post. Cherry Kay

Suzy said...

These look great. I'd eat the whole batch if I let myself! I got a little teapot similar to yours a couple of weeks ago. There is a tea shop near my work that has great loose tea and I got the pot there and some tea. I have been a tea drinking fool lately lol.