The new recipe I tried today was from the blog of a Minnesota food writer, Sue Doeden (All about Food). She also writes a weekly newspaper column in several newspapers. She calls these little bites of pleasure "Grab-and-Go Sweet Pumpkin Turnovers".
Grab-and-Go Sweet Pumpkin Turnovers
* 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking spice blend, pumpkin pie spice blend or your favorite baking spice
* 1 (14.1 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
* 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
* Milk
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 egg white, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar and spices. Set aside.
Unroll one pie crust on work surface. Sprinkle with half of the chopped walnuts. Use a rolling pin to roll over dough, pressing the nuts into the dough.
With a 3 1/2- to 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut 8 rounds from the dough.
Repeat with remaining pie crust in package.
Spoon one tablespoon of pumpkin mixture onto the center of each round. Moisten edges with milk, fold in half and press edges together to seal. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Brush turnovers with egg white. Sprinkle each with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place on ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake in preheated 450-degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 16 turnovers.
The first ones are sweet and crunchy with the cinn/sugar topping, Sue states in her notes that after being stored the pastry will be soft. I'm leaving these sit out for a while so that when Jeff comes home he gets to taste the crunch as well.
Marsha - Thumbs UP
Jeff - not home yet, but I'm confident it will be a 2nd thumbs up :)
7 comments:
Welcome Back! It looks wonderful and I bet the kitchen was filled with delicious aromas. I love the little pies, and the little banana chips cakes are so cute. We are still eating ours here!
So glad to see you cooking again! :)
I bet dh is too!
The mini-turnovers look wonderful, and I would enjoy the crunchiness of the crust. Thanks for including the note about storing. Where did you get your silicone molds? I love the little pumpkins and leaves, and the imprint shows very well. Welcome back!
Looks delicious - glad to see you back with the recipes!!
The turnovers look delicious, amazing actually! And the banana bread looks excellent in the shapes. I finally used a Bundt like Kathleen said and we liked it better than the loaves! Have to try the shapes next! That Kathleen, so pushy, LOL! Glad you're back in the kitchen, you've been missed!
I found you ...I don't know how...but I'm glad to meet you...you're blog is wonderful ...ciao from Italy
If you don't hear from Carol again, I really got pushy and right near a cliff! :)
Someone help meeeeeeeee!
LOL!
Post a Comment