Monday, November 29, 2010

macaroni and cheese...

Let me start out this post by telling you that until Thanksgiving day I haven't had a spoonful of macaroni & cheese enter my mouth in over 40 years. Horrid memories of the baked crisp and dried out school lunch macaroni & cheese and the version my own mother made left me with an extreme dislike of the dish. But while looking at a blog called "Our Old Southern House", Natalie, the author, stated: "There is only one dish that I am “known” for. Everywhere I go people want the recipe. In fact, every family event we have I get automatically signed up for it–whether I want to do it or not." I figured this was a recipe I had to try while looking for a crowd pleasing recipe - you see last year, I hosted the first annual chili/soup cookoff for my extended family. We had so much fun showing our competitive sides while presenting and bragging up our soups in order to win the "crock pot" trophy that this year my sister is hosting the first annual Minnesota "hotdish" and blue ribbon bar competition next weekend. Hotdish is known as a casserole in most other states :) I made a taste testing 1/2 batch of Natalie's recipe for Carmelized Onion and Pecan Macaroni and Cheese on Thanksgiving and for a mac/cheese hater this dish was pretty darn good :)

Carmelized Onion and Pecan Macaroni and Cheese
as copied from Natalie's blog. Please click HERE for her full "Oh So Cheesy" post with the recipe.

Ingredients

1 (8-oz.) package large elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons butter
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 (16-oz.) block white Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
32 saltine crackers, finely crushed and divided
6 large eggs
4 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional sure, but I think they make the dish)

Preparation

1. Prepare macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.2. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and 1 tsp. sugar. Cook, stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are caramel-colored.

3. Layer half each of macaroni, onions, cheeses, and cracker crumbs in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Layer with remaining macaroni, onions, and cheeses.

4. Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients; pour over macaroni mixture.

5. Stir together remaining cracker crumbs, melted butter, and, if desired, pecans. Sprinkle evenly over macaroni mixture.

6. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown and set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

While this dish is fantastic I am not sure it classifies as a "hotdish" which according to Wikipedia is a meat, starch, vegetable and a canned soup so I am undecided as to what I will bring for the competetion. I think Tater Tot Hotdish might be our state recipe and it is One Hot Dish according to this article in Relish Magazine. While it is a favorite I don't think it is a prize winner so if any readers have a "winning" recipe for a hot dish or a pan of bars that if entered in a fair would win a blue ribbon please send them on!

Of course, I could always call this dish a vegetarian hotdish :)

Marsha - Thumbs UP
Jeff - Thumbs UP

5 comments:

Flavia Galasso said...

I'm really going to try this wonderful recipe...thanks a lot....ciao Flavia

Carol said...

I can't get macaroni and cheese to come out right. I have a post on it one of these days! Yours looks so good. I'll have to try it!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Mac n Cheese with pecans? This must taste wonderful. If I didn't have 5 pounds to lose from Thanksgiving, I'd try this tomorrow. Sadly, it's going in the Things to Try file!

natalie @ our old southern house said...

yours looks delish!
so glad it turned out well!! (i made a huge batch and didn't even get seconds! so sad!)

Foley said...

Like you. not a m&c fan... but may try this one! Will look thru my files for 'hotdish' possibilities!