My friend, Susan from Savoring Time in the Kitchen is hosting a Garden Party at her blog this weekend so please CLICK HERE to see her party as well as all the other's joining in. Susan was the first person to show me Rooguchi clematis and I fell in love...I just planted this one this spring and isn't it a beauty?Pavlova with Berries and Whipped Cream - recipe from our local newspaper columnist, Sue Doeden
4 egg whites, room temperature
1 cup superfine sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch, sifted
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 pints fresh berries of your choice
Extra powdered sugar for garnish
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet with no sides. Draw a 9- or 10-inch circle on the parchment, using a plate as your guide. Turn the paper over so the drawing is on the bottom. It will show through the parchment.
Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl. If you are using a stand mixer, use the whisk attachment. Beat the egg whites at low speed until they are very foamy. With the mixer on high speed, gradually add superfine sugar, beating until the sugar is dissolved after each addition. Beat the mixture 5 to 10 minutes, until it is very shiny and thick. Fold in cornstarch and vinegar.
Spread meringue mixture into the marked circle on parchment paper. Use the back of a spoon to shape evenly, spreading meringue to the sides and leaving a slight depression in the middle, similar to a nest. Run the flat side of a knife up the edge of meringue mixture, all the way around, making furrows. This strengthens the Pavlova and gives it a nice decorative finish.
Bake the meringue in preheated 250-degree oven for 1 hour. Turn off the oven. Leave Pavlova to cool in the oven with door slightly ajar. It will take at least 2 hours for the Pavlova to cool completely.
Use a wide metal spatula to carefully loosen the baked meringue shell from the parchment paper. Slide the meringue onto a cake platter.
An hour before serving, beat heavy whipping cream with powdered sugar and vanilla until firm.
Spoon sweetened whipped cream into the meringue shell and spread evenly. Spoon berries carefully over the whipped cream, leaving a border of cream and meringue. Sprinkle the Pavlova with powdered sugar just before serving. Serves 6 to 8.
The full article and link to the recipe can be found HERE.
I will definitely make this one again!
Marsha - Thumbs UP
Jeff - Thumbs UP
13 comments:
Dinner and dishes look great! Perfect dishes for a Garden party, Marsha, but that Pavlova looks amazing! Perfect ending. Copying this one! Thanks!
More wonderful photos!!!! The steaks look wonderful. We are having them tomorrow night and you just made me very hungry. Your dessert sounds wonderful. Thanks for the recipe.
Seems the Pavlova is the summer 2009 dessert! I am reading about it everywhere. Of course, I love that you dined under your gazebo. Very romantic Marsha. I'm adding the clematis to my list. Is the dinnerware new? I don't believe I have seen it before. Great garden party!
What a gorgeous view from your patio table! I love the Kitchen Garden dishes and will have to look for those in my travels! We've had so few evenings that it's been nice enough to eat outside here, it seems.
We skipped dessert when I made my Garden Party dinner too but I'm impressed that you came back and made such a beautiful Pavlova and the setting under the Gazebo is so perfect for that elegant dessert. I'm saving that recipe too :)
I hope your Rooguchi doesn't get mildew like mine did. It didn't happen until it was about 3 years old.
I had to smile at the bottle of Minnesota Nice! Nice!
Thanks again for TWO wonderful Garden Party posts, Marsha!
What a lovely post, Marsha. I LOVE your dishes ... And I can definitely understand why you would eat outside at every chance... such a magical setting.
Everything looks wonderful ... John would be happy to alternate meals every day between steak and hot dogs. Both of yours look tasty.
Your pavlova is drop-dead gorgeous, and doesn't sound too complicated to make. You were very generous with the berries. YUM!
After reading Susan's comment, I went back and clicked on the Minnesota NIce wine pic. What a cute label with the two moose AND "Drinks well with leftovers" ... how fun!
I really enjoyed your garden party.I love your satellite gazebo-is it made with an old satellite dish as the top?
What a lovely place to have your romantic candlelight dinners.
All the food looks so good-especially the pavlova.
Thank you for the recipe.
Carolyn
Look aat those dishes! They say it all!!
Dinner looks great, I love the salad, and the dessert looks delicious.
The flowers are just beautiful!
What a great way to enjoy a meal. Looks wonderful.
Where do I start...the Rooguchi clematis is so unique looking, beautiful! All your flowers and bird photos are just magnificent!
Love the dishes..and that is one HUGE steak!!
Aren;t the pavlovas fun to make..I thought they would be so difficult..yours turned out gorgeous..I bet it was tasty!!
What a pretty little party for two~! Your satellite gazebo is the perfect spot. Love the dishes and the pavlova has been on my "must try" list for a while. You've given me inspiration to give it a try!
This is the first time I've heard of Pavolova. It looks divine. You truly do have a gift for photography!
Marsha, wow, so nice. Love those dishes. That deesert is lovely. I bet it was delicious! I always love your flowers and birds.
Looks like a FAB garden party!
Post a Comment