Friday, July 16, 2010

ice cream social for one...

I'm a little early to the party but my friend, Suzy, from Kitchen Bouquet is having an ice cream social this weekend. Please click HERE to see all the other's participating, I am early posting to this event so today she has a flashback to some of the entries from last year's social but please recheck her blog throughout the weekend to see all this year's participants..

I love a good mocha latte and when I saw a recipe for mocha latte ice cream in the July 2010 issue of Southern Living magazine I knew this was the one to make for Suzy's virtual party.
It has been a busy week of work and gardening for me so yesterday afternoon was the perfect time to take a frozen latte coffee break.
I thoroughly enjoy a good cup of coffee whether hot, frozen or floral.


This recipe was my first time using the egg custard base and I think it makes for a much richer and creamier ice cream. However, it is not a quick make like the eggless versions as you need to remember the custard needs time to chill - in this case overnight.
It tastes as good as it looks...maybe even better, well worth the wait :)

Mocha Latte Ice Cream
from Southern Living magazine (July 2010)

Yield: Makes about 1 qt.
Ingredients

* 3/4 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 tablespoon instant espresso
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups milk
* 1 cup heavy whipping cream
* 1 egg yolk
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (vanilla extract may be substituted)
* 1 cup chopped pecans
* 2 ounces finely chopped semisweet chocolate
* Garnish: dark-chocolate sticks

Preparation

1. Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and whipping cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.

2. Whisk egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk about 1 cup hot cream mixture into yolk. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk in vanilla bean paste. Cool 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

3. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture, and chill 8 to 24 hours.

4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring once halfway through. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).

5. Pour chilled cream mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and time may vary.) Before transferring ice cream to an airtight container for further freezing, stir in pecans and chocolate. Garnish, if desired.

My Notes: I used vanilla extract, skim milk and mini chocolate chips and it still tastes great.

Marsha - Thumbs UP
Jeff - not home but I am sure he will enjoy some later :)

26 comments:

Denise said...

This looks delicious, and the table setting is just beautiful :) Have a wonderful weekend.
hugs
Denise

Foley said...

What a gorgeous setting! Love the floral cup of coffee also...
Great minds think alike - you'll know what I mean when you see my post.
I bet you had to take those photos fast so the ice cream wouldn't melt considering the heat we've been having.
Great recipe!!

Carol said...

Looks awesome, Marsha! Love the tablesetting! Perfect ice cream party! and not really for one, we're all here with you, just wish I could have a scoop or two!

Beth said...

That looks delicious, and I love your sunflower coffee cup and your Black-eyed Susans!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a beautiful post, Marsha! I love the cheery table setting and the mocha latte ice cream sounds delicious to me. I love those Pirouette cookies too ;)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful setting and flower garden. Perfect for a summery post.
I am learning so much during this party.

Vee said...

Ohhhh, that does look wonderful. What a delightful garden and table setting you've used to feature this delectable treat.

Jennie Shutt said...

That looks really good and I like your tabletop display too.

Lynn said...

Looks like a fun recipe! Your table setting is really cute-enjoy!

bj said...

OMGosh this looks AMAZING. ummm...gotta fix some for us.
And you have served it so pretty...

Jacqueline said...

What a beautiful post. I like ice cream socials for one!! I love ice cream. Your bowl and table setting is absolutely adorable.

Suzy said...

Well I know I wrote a comment earlier, but I sure don't see it now lol. Marsha your ice cream looks awesome. I was attracted to the same article and made the one right next to it! They always have the best recipes. Love your table setting. That giant teapot is so cute and filled with hydrangeas it looks fantastic. Beautiful black eyed susans. Thanks for joining me Marsha...I know you've been busy! Then again..we should never be too busy for ice cream!

Cynthia said...

Gorgeous table setting, accessories, and dishes, Marsha ... simply lovely.

We love custard base ice creams. I agree definitely richer and creamier. But it requires more planning than we often do,so we usually end up making the eggless versions.

Beautiful post!

A Grain of Salt said...

That would definitely be a thumb's up here, Marsha! Your setting is so cheerful!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Your ice cream sounds delicious! And what a lovely table setting!

Terri Steffes said...

Oooo! I love the table setting. I think the ice cream sounds divine. I love the cookies you have with it. I have become a follower!

Kathleen said...

The ice cream looks delicious, and the flowers are magnificent!
What a pretty table setting!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, I always knew we had a lot in common. Love the sunflowers and I made the ice cream and loved it. Beautiful setting!

Julie said...

Your flowers are BEAUTIFUL! The ice cream looks delicious! Yum!

Joyce said...

Beautiful photos and the ice cream sounds heavenly. Thanks for sharing the recipe with me.

Cindy said...

I picked up a copy of the current SL, because someone I know on a gardening forum is featured in it ... the article titled Not tonight, deer.

Anyway, the mocha latte caught my eye, so it's great to read a positive review!

Your Rudbeckias are gorgeous! Beautiful setting!

Jane said...

What a beautiful post! The table looks lovely...very summer-ish. The ice cream looks wonderful, too. Mmmm.....

Thanks for stopping by Artfully Graced. It was so nice meeting you.

Jane

Bonnie said...

What a beautiful blog. Your photos are fabulous. I love your recipe for a wonderful day. With that outlook on life, how can you go wrong. The wonderful recipe is just a very nice bonus.

Cathy said...

Your mocha latte ice cream looks fantastic, Marsha. I've made almost every flavor but chocolate this summer and this is on today's menu. Can't wait to try it.
Your photos are wonderful.

Cindy said...

Marsha, made the ice cream yesterday. Mike said it's the best homemade yet! I have to agree. I didn't add the pecans and subbed dark chocolate for the semi-sweet. It was great to finally use that bottle of vanilla bean paste from Trader Joe's.

sandy said...

Marsha, this blog is so enjoyable. Your recipes and the photos are great. Love the way you photograph the settings.