Thursday, May 20, 2010

Baked French Toast...

This recipe came from my sister, Renae. She emailed it as a "thumbs up" recipe so I knew it was one we had to try.

Baked French Toast

1 loaf French bread (13-16 oz size)
8 large eggs
2 cups half and half
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoon sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Dash of salt

Slice French bread into 1 inch slices
Arrange slices in a buttered 9x13 baking dish
In a large bowl combine eggs, half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and beat with a whisk or beater
Pour mixture over bread, Put extra mix in between slices
Cover with foil and refrigerate over night

Praline topping
2 tbsp butter
1 cup of packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoon of corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in med bowl and blend well.
Preheat oven 350. Spread topping over the bread and bake for 40-50 min until puffed and lightly golden and serve with maple syrup or fruit sauce.

Renae was right - this one received a thumbs up from 6 friends from church as well as Jeff & myself.

The raspberry/white chocolate scones pictured, I have blogged before. They are our personal favorite and you can find the recipe here from Ann of Thibeault's Table.

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

Beautiful meal, Marsha ... love the presentation. The lovely fruit really appeals to me. What a rainbow of colors. The French toast and scone sound fabulous ... almost like desserts. :)

Foley said...

Looks great - I have a recipe similar to this - but I like the praline topping of yours!!! Will have to try. The sones and fruit look awasome also..perfect brunch!

A Grain of Salt said...

Oh, yum! What a beautiful breakfast!

Kathleen said...

Like Barb said, I have a few recipes for this, one where the apples make the topping. This looks delicious!
I like things that can be made the night before and popped in the oven!

Carol said...

We love baked french toast! Great recipe, sometimes I add blueberries! Looks delicious, Marsha!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I've never tried baked French toast but this looks mouth-watering, Marsha! I'll have to give it a try.