Julia Child was my first tv chef I regularly watched, back in the day when we only had 6 channels on our UHF service and her PBS show was like a breath of fresh air. Most of the time the food prepared was something I never dared try and it was during the early years of our marriage when Jeff was still a "meat and potatoes" only guy - but I did enjoy her humor while she cooked and the Bon Appetit greeting as she signed off.
Supremes de Volaille a Brun
Chicken Breasts Sauteed in Butter
Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol 1
Julia Child
4 chicken supremes (boneless, skinless breasts)
1/4 tsp salt
Big pinch of pepper
1 cup flour spread on an 8 inch plate
An 8 to 9-inch skillet
6-8 Tbsp clarified butter*
(plus 1 cup for the sauce)
A hot platter
Just before sauteing, sprinkle the supremes with salt and pepper, roll them in the flour, and shake off excess flour.
Pour clarified butter into skillet to a depth of about 1/16 inch. Set over moderately high heat. When the butter begins to deepen in colour very lightly, put in the supremes. Regulate heat so butter is always hot but does not turn more than a deep yellow. After 3 minutes, turn the supremes and saute on the other side. In two minutes, press tops of supremes with your finger. As soon as they are springy to the touch, they are done. Remove to a hot platter, leaving the butter in the skillet.
Beurre Noisette
Brown Butter Sauce
4 Tbsp clarified butter*
3 Tbsp minced parsley
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Add additional clarified butter to skillet and set over moderately high heat until the butter has turned a very light golden brown (a minute or two). Immediately remove from heat, stir in parsley and lemon juice, and taste for seasoning. Pour over the supremes and serve.
*To clarify butter, cut it into pieces and place it in a saucepan over moderate heat. When the butter has melted, skim off the foam, and strain the clear yellow liquid into a bowl, leaving the milky residue in the bottom of the pan. The residue may be stirred into soups and sauces or served as an enrichment.
My notes: I followed the recipe exactly except for maybe going a little heavy on the lemon juice. The blogger served her chicken over noodles which I didn't have in the house so I used bow tie pasta.
Marsha - Thumbs Up
Jeff - Thumbs Up on the chicken breast but he didn't like the lemon flavor on his pasta. Great news since I just bought a huge bag of lemons and he tells me now he doesn't like lemon :)
Some classic Julia quotes:
“If you’re afraid of butter, use cream”
“The only time to eat diet food is while you’re waiting for the steak to cook.”
Julia Child recipes made by friends -
Susan, Savoring Time in the Kitchen - Profileroles with Ice Cream
Jayne, A Grain of Salt - Julia Child's Herb Biscuits
Suzy, Kitchen Bouquet - Soupe Aux Choux - Garbure
Debbie, Mountain Breaths - Sage Butter Cakes
Carol, There's Always Thyme to Cook - Beef Bourguignon & Creme Anglaise
Barb, Foley's Follies - Supremes de Volaille aux Champignons
Kathleen, Cuisine Kathleen - Ruffle Cake
9 comments:
Love the quotes - including the one behind your rooster!
This sounds like a wonderful Julia recipe, Marsha. I would love the lemon and butter sauce. Great choice!
Looks so simple and I'm sure the taste truly delicious.
Let Jeff know that not liking lemons in as un-=American as not liking apple pie!! ;)
Loved the quotes - especially when to eat diet food!
Oh, yes, bark, I love the title..:)
Dinner looks delicious..
Get those separated dishes for Jeff so the lemon butter doesn't get on his pasta!
And mine doesn't like farfalle..it's pasta, what's the diff!
What a great selection Marsha! I'd love it. Randy isn't crazy about lemony savory dishes either. Silly guys :-) Love your pretty dishes. They are very fall like and french looking at the same time! Gorgeous presentation.
That was good, Marsha, too funny! Kathleen doesn't want the puppies anywhere, let alone the kitchen!
Your chicken does indeed look supreme! It looks fantastic, and especially on the gorgeous blue plate!
LOL, now he tells you!
Oh, Marsha, that looks delicious! I love all the flavors, so I'll have Jeff's portion. Pretty presentation... love the plates.
Marsha, what beautiful blue rooster plates. The chicken breast recipe sounds so tasty yet so simple, and I bet the brown butter sauce takes it to a whole new level.
Did you let Jeff know about his bad timing on letting you know that he doesn't like lemon?
Bon Appetit Marsha! I love the quotes and the rooster plates. The chicken breast with the brown butter sauce sounds divine! I'll take lemon with mine:-)
I found your blog via Jayne@A Grain of Salt.
GREAT!!! recipe I love the combination of flavors and your rooster dishes are lovely.
I have become a follower of your blog, I love to share recipes and ideas. Come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same.
Geri
Post a Comment