Wednesday, September 30, 2009

carrot cake...

Daily, my calendar reminds me to eat more fruit and vegetables...and carrots are root vegetables right?
On Monday, I ate three of them for lunch...I admit it...they are that good! I justified the experience of totally enjoying them by skipping the protein...but I did have some fruit and dairy inside all the goodness.
I did it without guilt while reading my current issue of Health magazine.
I forgave myself, moved on and spent the afternoon working off some of the calories in the garden :)
This is my absolute favorite cake. I only make it once a year in the fall so thus it always tastes like fall to me...my favorite season. Actually, this year I had to make it twice...two weeks ago for a funeral at our church where I didn't bring home a single leftover cupcake as they were popular there too. Because I only had one from the whole batch I just had to make them a second time.

Carrot Cake

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
1 cup crushed pineapple
2 cups grated carrots
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp vanilla

Combine sugar, oil and eggs. Beat well. Add well drained pineapple and grated carrots. Beat until well mixed. Add flour, cinnamon, soda and salt (sifted together). Beat well, add nuts and vanilla last. Pour in a 9 x 13 inch pan and bake 45-50 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Frost with cream cheese frosting with completely cool and store in the refrigerator.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8 oz package of cream cheese
1 stick (1/4 lb) butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Mix thoroughly.

My Notes: This year for the first time I made them into cupcakes (thinking it would help with portion size, NOT). I baked them at 350 degrees for approx 24-26 minutes and the recipe made 32 of them. I lowered the oil to 1 1/4 cups and that worked well. Next year, I made a note to try one cup. I use a whole 20 oz can of crushed pineapple which has been well drained and I use a generous 1 cup of chopped pecans for the nuts. A very decadent cake but every bite is so worth it ;)

Marsha - Thumbs Up
Jeff - Thumbs Up

12 comments:

Kathy said...

Can't wait to try this, thanks so much for featuring carrot cake, it's my favorite.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love carrot cake too, Marsha! I see your recipe has crushed pineapple in it - that sounds like it would make a wonderful, moist cake!

Glad you're eating your fruits and veggies :)

Cynthia said...

What a cute calendar, Marsha. Carrot cake is a favorite around here, too. And portion control is impossible when one is around. I use a similar recipe but my family does not like pineapple in theirs, and I load up the icing with pecans.

The cupcakes just seem "healthier" served on the root vegetables bowl. ;)

Foley said...

Looks yummy - a fav of mine too but I have never used pineapple in it - will give it a try. I like the idea of the cupcales also, easier to give out to people.

Kathleen said...

I love carrot cake, and yes, it is decadent..but so good.
My recipe has pineapple too..makes it so moist!
Great post.. I always have diet coke with my potato chips..LOL!

A Grain of Salt said...

Marsha, yum! Carrot cake is a favorite here, but I've never added pineapple. May have to try that. Yes, think of the veg value! :-) I'm sure this was thumbs up all around.

Unknown said...

Oh this did it, I've been thinking about a carrot cake and now I'm going to have to have a bite. Guess I will mix one up this weekend. You have a great site.
Happy Twirls

Carol said...

I love carrot cake! What a great way to have your vegetables, LOL! and with frosting!

Joyce said...

Oh how I love carrot cake too:)
Joyce

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, thanks for the reminder that I too need to make my annual carrot cake. Bingo! My mom's birthday is coming up in November :-)

Suzy said...

Sorry I missed this! lol you had me laughing. You mean I have to worry about carrot cake too. I thought since it was a veggie it was a free food!!! lololol. It's one of my favs.

i cant decide said...

Uh oh. Love the pic of the cupcake on the magazine. You are funny!